Monday 2 December 2013

The Wonders of Black and White

I just finished a custom set of beads in black and white (and clear) glass and I couldn't help but appreciate how nicely these two "colours" work together.  I would absolutely describe myself as a colour person.  My first forays into art involved glossy, intense oil paints in vibrant hues mixed and melded to create even more colours.  Even when I sketch I tend to use coloured pencils so black and white isn't really a natural for me but every time I use it, I love the bright, clean, graphic results that can be achieved.

They're great glasses to use when trying out new techniques, too.  First, they aren't as horrifically expensive as some of the other glasses and they tend to work really well together.  They stay clean and don't blur and react the way some other colours do.

Also, I know that Effetre Black is actually a very dark purple but I like the way you can see that hint of purple when it's layered very thinly.  It gives the black and white beads a little colour which I find a bit more appealing than plain black and white.


1 comment: