Monday 14 April 2014

A little bit of black glass goes a long way


Sooo, I was feeling a little uninspired and decided to go to one of my favourite sites: design-seeds.com.  After looking around, I decided to try and make a set of beads based on the above palette.  Why?  I'm not really sure.  I've been using a lot of green and yellow so I just think I was in the mood for something a little more neutral (plus the dog is adorable).  I chose 5 glass colours because I thought the first and last colour were pretty similar and I went with: CIM Butter Pecan Unique 5, CIM Chai Unique 3, CIM Eggplant, Effetre Black and CIM Lichen.  This is basically 4 very light to light colours with black.  I thought the set would be light and airy with small hints of black to add detail.  I sat down and made 13 beads and ended up with this.


Now keep in mind that these are very brightly lighted with studio lighting and come across a bit darker in real life.  As far as I was concerned these beads were too dark.  Not the light and airy concept I was shooting for, especially the beads in the back row.  So back to the drawing board or in this case the torch to make 7 more beads without any black glass at all.


Yes, this is more like it.  I kept the front row of beads which had just hints of black and added the new beads and got something much softer and lighter in tone.  They remind me of vintage French linens in soft cream, pale sage with hints of plum.  There was nothing really wrong with the first set of beads except they weren't the look I was trying to achieve.  Although when I look at them now, they actually do seem closer to the inspiration picture. Oh, well.  Here's the final set.




1 comment:

  1. I love this set! The second version is gorgeous.

    I also love your blog. I'm not sure if it's a great thing or not that you give the colors. I love knowing them, but my bucket list is getting long! Oh well, I love seeing all your beautiful work and I think this blog is a great resource on glass colors. Thanks so much! - Kristin Louthan

    ReplyDelete